Can I become ill from cleaning up mold?

Yes, cleaning up mold may release mold spores. The mold spore counts in buildings during cleaning may be up to 1000 times that of background levels. To protect yourself, consider using a respirator to protect yourself from breathing mold spores. Use disposable clothing or clothing that is easily cleanable following the project. Wear rubber gloves. Initially, only clean a small area, and if you begin to have symptoms stop and hire a mold remediation specialist. Move air through the building during and after completing the work. Do not use a gasoline pressure washer indoors because you may expose yourself to carbon monoxide.

Show All Answers

1. What are molds?
2. Can molds cause me to be ill?
3. Are some molds toxic?
4. What is the toxic mold described on TV?
5. How do I know if the S. atra mold is in my house?
6. What are the common molds found in homes?
7. How can mold become a problem in my building?
8. What are the common areas for the S. atra mold to grow in buildings?
9. Should I have my mold tested?
10. How do I clean up molds?
11. Can I become ill from cleaning up mold?
12. How do I choose a mold remediation specialist?
13. How do I prevent mold?
14. Can the heating and air conditioning ductwork become contaminated?
15. Where can I get more information?